Monday, January 24, 2011

Flap Jack Jesus

     This weekend I took my family to a breakfast place in North Hollywood called The Griddle. The Griddle makes pancakes that are so delish that you can't stop eating them. You instantly feel a need to tell everyone you know about them.
     Later in the day, I had quite time with God ( I am a christian). I started thinking about the comparison of pancakes to Jesus. I asked myself, "Why is it that when Jesus tells us to yearn after Him and share His good news we clam up, but the second we taste these pancakes our first instinct is to run through the streets proclaiming their greatness?" I took a second and compared Jesus to Pancakes (Just stick with me here). This were it all became clear.
     Pancakes allow us to use all five senses of the human body. You can smell them, touch them, taste them, see them, and hear them squishing around in the syrup on your plate. They are the perfect example of a completely intoxicating worldly experience. You can't smell, touch, taste, see or hear God, at least in the way the world experiences these things. Pancakes appeal to our worldly selves because there is every reason to believe they are there in front of you, with you, and in you.
     So then I asked myself, "why didn't God choose to send Jesus as a pancake? Wouldn't everyone have been instantly entranced with Him?"
     I came to this conclusion. If Jesus was like a flap jack he would require no courage, trust, humbleness, or any other qualities of inner beauty. Jesus was not sent to earth for us to just look at or touch; He came to change us. That is why He is not a pancake.  A pancake would be easy enough to believe in, but would never be able to change our lives. God offers so much more then just sensory overload. Can a pancake heal you, look after you in the hard times, and offer you a purpose in life?  Didn't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment